The Catholic Parish of Our Lady of Walsingham, Royal Docks, is an active and diverse community in the heart of the London Docklands, within a stones throw of the Excel Centre and London City Airport.
The Parish Priest
The Catholic Parish of the Royal Docks (Silvertown, Custom House & Beckton) has its origins with the arrival at Silvertown in 1887 of Fr (later Monsignor) Timothy Ring, one of the legendary Irish priests who served in the East End of London in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Custom House was founded from Silvertown in 1895 and Beckton developed as an ecumenical parish in the late 1980s.
(The picture shows Father Timothy Ring (left), founder of the Silvertown and Custom House parishes, and Cardinal Manning, 2nd Archbishop of Westminster (right), who sent Fr Ring to Silvertown in 1887.)